The Implications and Options for German and International Policy”, new research and advisory project in cooperation between the German Institute for International and Security Affairs (SWP) in Berlin, the German Development Institute / Deutsches Institut für Entwicklungspolitik (DIE) in Bonn, and the Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW), calls for applications for its (Megatrends Afrika)s fellowship’s programme to post-doctoral researchers from African countries working on Africa-related issues.
They (Megatrends Afrika) are particularly interested in research proposals on the following topics:
Conflicts, Statehood, and Actors of Violence in Africa:
- The relationship between climate change and/or resource management and conflict
- The changing nature of armed conflict, including new technologies and influence operations; remote warfare and warfare in urban settings; developments in security sector assistance/reform
- The effectiveness of regional ad hoc coalitions or organizations in conflict management
Megatrends and Political Authority in Africa:
- The relationship between digitalization, political participation, and democracy/ autocracy
- The reshaping of politics through demographic change, and youth movements
- The impact of urban and increasingly digital middle classes on economies and politics
- The relation between climate change or migration and political authority
External Actors and their Influence on Politics, Societies, and Economies in Africa
- African perspectives on China’s economic engagement
- External actors in Africa such as India, Russia, Turkey, or the UAE
Duration: 3 months
The Megatrends Afrika Fellows will receive a monthly grant of € 2,800 as well as an economy fare return trip between the fellow’s place of residence and Germany.
The following criteria will serve as a basis for selection to Megatrends Afrika:
- Academic and professional merit based on the applicant’s publications and work experience;
- The academic and political relevance of the applicant’s project to the relevant research fields;
- Coherence and feasibility of the applicant’s project;
- Candidates’ ability to communicate effectively and make complex ideas accessible to a broad audience.
Applications for the (Megatrends Afrika) must be submitted as a single PDF document and must contain the following documents in English:
- A cover letter (one page);
- A CV incl. a list of academic publications; and a sample of 2 pieces of recently published research papers;
- Copies of relevant academic transcripts and/or diplomas;
- A written concept note containing the description of the applicant’s project (not more than two pages or 1000 words);
- This concept note must include:
- A discussion of the project/research topic, relevant project objectives, and an explanation of the academic and policy relevance of the project;
- An overview of the theoretical and methodological approaches the fellow seeks to apply.
Deadline: June 22, 2022.
For more information on Megatrends Afrika, visit the official site.