Applications are welcome for the 2023 Tarbell Fellowship Programme for Early-Career Journalists worldwide.
Humanity faces a number of key challenges this century, including reducing catastrophic and existential risks, eradicating factory farming, and ending global poverty. Relative to their importance, these issues receive much less attention than they deserve.
The Tarbell Fellowship seeks to change that. The fellowship represents a unique opportunity to do great journalism, covering topics that could have a major impact on the lives of billions, such as global poverty and existential risks.
- Fellows will receive a stipend of up to $50,000 to support placements at major publications and independent freelance reporting.
- Each fellow will be matched with an experienced journalist. Mentors will provide critical feedback and challenge the fellow to set goals and deliver on them.
- Fellows will participate in remote sessions each week as a cohort.
- Fellows attend a two-week summit in Oxford at the beginning of the fellowship
- Travel and accommodation costs will be fully covered.
To be eligible for Tarbell Fellowship Programme for Early-Career Journalists, fellows must
- Be able to produce compelling copy under tight deadlines.
- Have a creative approach to storytelling combined with the ability to quickly get to the heart of a new topic.
- Be open to criticism and recognize ways they can improve their writing and thinking.
- Have the ability to doggedly pursue your goals and persevere in the face of adversity.
- Have the desire to understand the truth of any given story, even when it conflicts with prior beliefs.
The application must be accompanied by the following documents:
- A brief story about them, including their CV.
- Short questions about their suitability for the Tarbell Fellowship.
- Multiple choice questions to understand their motivation and thinking style.
- 1-3 writing sample(s) (500-2000 words) to assess their writing skills.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: October 09, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.