Applications are welcome for the Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme in the UK for the 2023-24 Academic year (fully funded).
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Each year Gates Cambridge offers c.80 full-cost scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
There are at least 225 Scholars from c. 50 countries studying in Cambridge at any one time who pursue the full range of subjects available at the University and are spread across its departments and Colleges, as well as forming their own distinctive community.
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional, discretionary funding such as:
- the University Composition Fee at the appropriate rate
- a maintenance allowance for a single student (£18,744 for 12 months at the 2022-23 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for PhD scholars the award is for up to 4 years
- one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
However, the Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of the course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,944 for one child and up to £15,612 for two or more children (2022-23 rate).
- Fieldwork – applicants may apply to keep up to their normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of their PhD.
- Maternity/Paternity funding.
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties facing the scholar.
Applicants can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if they are:
- a citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- applying to pursue one of the following courses at the University of Cambridge:
- PhD (full-time or part-time*)
- MLitt (full-time)
- One-year postgraduate course (full-time), with some exceptions – see below
The key selection criteria are:
- outstanding intellectual ability
- reasons for the choice of course
- a commitment to improving the lives of others
- leadership potential
To apply for The Gates Cambridge Scholarship programme for the 2023-24 Academic year, applicants must submit their application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: January 05, 2023.
For more information, visit the official site.