The Harvard University Centre for African Studies in Collaboration with Motsepe Foundation calls for applications for the Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Fund for Africa.
The Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Fund for Africa is made possible by a generous gift from the Motsepe Foundation. The Office of the Vice Provost for Research will administer the Fund together with the Office of the Vice Provost for International Affairs, in collaboration with the Center for African Studies.
The primary purpose of the Fund is to support faculty-led and student-driven research projects that focus on advancing key challenges and opportunities facing Africa, including, but not limited to, the following areas:
- emerging technologies and the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- climate change and its effect on health, livelihoods, agriculture, water, and/or sanitation
- renewable energy and its benefit to infrastructure and/or society
- materials science
- governance and policies needed for an entrepreneurial economy
Applicants for the Harvard University Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Fund for Africa may request a project period of one or two years with a maximum of $150,000 in direct costs, as specified by the applicant in the proposal.
- Applications are welcome from individuals who hold a faculty appointment at a Harvard School and who have principal investigator rights at that School.
- Harvard Medical School faculty must hold a faculty appointment with PI rights in one of HMS’s basic or social science departments.
- Faculty may request support for Harvard postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates.
Proposals will be evaluated on the basis of academic merit, feasibility, and their anticipated advancement of the objectives of the Fund. They must meet at least one of the following three criteria, with priority given to those projects that meet more than one criterion:
- Focus on Africa
- Include meaningful collaboration with Africa-based academics
- Be undertaken in Africa in whole or in part
Applications for The Harvard University Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Fund for Africa should consist of:
- Contact information for the principal investigator and any co-investigators or collaborators.
- Single paragraph summary of the proposal (150 words maximum)
- Proposal of up to 1,000 words that succinctly describe the proposed research project, its significance, and expected impact, and any proposed collaboration with Africa-based academics or researchers.
- CV of no more than 3 pages for each PI, co-investigator, and collaborator.
- The project budget must be provided using the form available in the application. Applicants must also use the budget justification form provided to explain each budget item.
- Attestation by an appropriate representative (e.g., academic dean, department chair, administrative director) of the applicant’s department or division.
To apply for The Harvard University Motsepe Presidential Research Accelerator Fund for Africa, click here.
Deadline: November 30, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.