The UK Research and Innovation invite African researchers to apply for the Research Leaders Grant funding to support excellent global health research and strengthen research leadership across sub-Saharan Africa (SSA).
This programme aims to attract and retain exceptionally talented ‘rising star’ individuals who will lead high-quality research on key global health issues pertinent to SSA. Researchers would be supported by an enthusiastic local research environment and by a UK-based mentor as part of a partnership between the African and UK institutions.
The lack of grant funding and research infrastructure in many SSA countries can make it difficult to attract and retain talented African scientists. As a result, African nationals are currently underrepresented as leaders in medical research in the region.
This scheme seeks to support talented early-to-mid-career African researchers who are either already based in an SSA country, or currently working overseas and wish to return to an SSA country.
Duration: 4-5 years.
Awards will provide support for up to five years and the MRC contribution should not exceed £750,000 in total.
The African candidate for the 2023 Research Leaders Grant will:
- have completed a PhD
- be well-qualified for academic research having spent at least the last three years in active research (post-PhD)
- be building a track record of independence in their selected field and demonstrating promise as a future research leader.
- Applications from women are strongly welcome
Nevertheless, outstanding candidates who do not have a PhD but have a master’s level and substantial research experience, as evidenced by their publication record, may also be considered in exceptional circumstances.
Referees and interview panel members will assess the proposals based on these four key areas:
- the candidate for a research leader
- the programme of research
- the African research environment or institution
- and the African-UK institutional partnership.
In addition to the Je-S application, you will also need to include the following mandatory attachments.
- Covering letter (optional)
- CVs for principal investigators, co-investigators, and each named researcher
- Publications for principal investigators, co-investigators, and each named researcher
- Case for support
To apply for the UKRI African Research Leaders Grant 2023, click here.
Deadline: December 01, 2022.
For more information on the UKRI African Research Leaders Grant 2023, visit the official site.