Application is currently open for the University of British Columbia Killam Doctoral Scholarships for the 2022/2023 academic year.
Their primary purpose is to support advanced education and research at five Canadian universities and the Canada Council for the Arts. The UBC Killam Doctoral Scholarships are provided annually by the Izaak Walton Killam Memorial Fund for Advanced Studies. It was Mrs. Killam’s desire that those selected to receive scholarships: “Be likely to contribute to the advancement of learning or to win distinction in a profession. A Killam scholar should not be a one-sided person… Special distinction of intellect should be founded upon sound character.”
Duration: 2 years
- $30,000/year for up to 2 years and
- a $2,000 allowance for research-related travel during the scholarship years
To be eligible to apply for Killam Doctoral Scholarship funding, applicants must have completed no more than 24 months of doctoral study as of the start date of the scholarship.
The key selection criteria for University of British Columbia Killam Doctoral Scholarships are:
- Quality of research proposal
- specific, focused, and feasible research question(s) and objective(s)
- a clear description of the proposed methodology
- significance and expected contributions to research
- Relevant training, such as academic training, lived experience, and traditional teachings
- Research experience and achievements relative to the applicant’s stage of study lived experience, and knowledge systems
- Quality of contributions and extent to which they advance the field of research. Contributions may include publications, patents, reports, posters, abstracts, monographs, presentations, creative outputs, knowledge translation outputs, community products, etc.
- Professional, academic, and extracurricular activities as well as collaborations with supervisors, colleagues, peers, students, and members of the community, such as:
- teaching, mentoring, supervising, and/or coaching
- managing projects
- participating in science and/or research promotion
- community outreach, volunteer work, and/or civic engagement
The Killam Doctoral Scholarships are part of the Affiliated Fellowships-Doctoral award competition. Therefore, to be considered for the Killam Doctoral Scholarships, applicants must apply for the Affiliated Fellowships-Doctoral award competition.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: September 13, 2022.
For more information on The University of British Columbia Killam Doctoral Scholarships, visit the official site.