The Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of India’s Ministry of Science and Technology, in collaboration with UNESCO-TWAS, established a fellowship program(TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship) for foreign scholars from developing countries interested in pursuing research toward a PhD in biotechnology.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship is tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years. Applicants may be registered for a PhD degree in their home country or may enroll in a PhD course at a host laboratory/institute in India. To help candidates in their choice of a suitable host institution a list of biotechnology institutes in India is available here: List_Biotechn_India.pdf. However, candidates are free to choose an Indian biotechnology institution that does not appear on the list.
The fellowship is in two section
SANDWICH Fellowships (for those registered for a PhD in their home country): The Fellowship may be granted for a minimum period of 12 months and a maximum period of 2 years.
FULL-TIME Fellowships (for those not registered for a PhD): The Fellowship is granted for an initial period of up to 3 years. Such Fellowships may then be extended for a further 2 years, subject to the student’s performance. Candidates will register for their PhD at a university in India. DBT will confirm any such extensions to both TWAS and the candidate.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship will provide:
- A monthly stipend to cover living costs, food, and health insurance.
- In addition, the fellowship holder will receive a house rent allowance.
Applicants for these fellowships must meet the following criteria:
- Be a maximum age of 35 years on 31 December of the application year.
- Be nationals of a developing country (other than India).
- Must not hold any visa for temporary or permanent residency in India or any developed country.
- Hold a Master’s or equivalent degree in science or engineering.
- For FULL-TIME Fellowships; be willing to register at a university in India.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if the medium of education was not English;
- Not take up other assignments during the period of her/his fellowship;
- Provide evidence that he/she will return to his/her home country on completion of the fellowship.
Interested applicants for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship are to provide the following documents:
- Curriculum Vitae
- Research Statement
- Letters of recommendation.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: September 15, 2022.
For more information, visit the official site.