The University of Pretoria (UP) in partnership with the Mastercard Foundation (MCF) is currently offering scholarships for high achieving African students interested in studying at postgraduate levels, commencing in January 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program (MCFSP) targets academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa who will contribute to the transformation of the continent through their knowledge, skills, attitudes, and values evidenced by their leadership. Community service and internships are essential components of the Program. The MCFSP offers a full scholarship to selected students who have been provisionally admitted to study towards a postgraduate degree at UP. Graduates must return to their home countries on completion of their studies and give back to their communities.
The University of Pretoria Mastercard Scholarship covers:
- Full tuition fees
- Accommodation in a UP residence
- Books and printed material
- A modest monthly stipend
- Medical aid
- Travel costs (one return trip for the duration of the study period)
- Cost of one visa application for the duration of the study period.
Below are the requirements for the University of Pretoria Mastercard Scholarship:
- Candidates should be citizens from Africa.
- Applicants should come from economically disadvantaged backgrounds and demonstrate financial neediness.
- Candidates should demonstrate leadership potential and ought to be involved in a giving back project eg. in a community, at school, church etc
- Academic excellence is paramount and students have to maintain a high academic average at all times.
- Only prospective students who cannot afford to pay the full fees are eligible to apply.
The documents listed below are required for application:
- Proof of provisional admission or application for admission letter from the University of Pretoria.
- Proof of gross income (pay slip(s)/pension advice(s)/financial statements/allowances, maintenance) not older than 3
- Certified copy of ID/Passport.
- IDs/passport for biological/adoptive parent(s)/legal guardian/spouse.
- IDs/passport and birth certificate for both applicant and siblings.
- Proof of enrolment of all siblings at tertiary institution(s).
To get the application form, click here.
Deadline: October 31, 2021.
For more information about the University of Pretoria Mastercard Scholarship, visit the official site.