The United Nation University Institute for Advanced Study Sustainability (UNU_IAS) welcomes applications from students from developing countries to its 2021 Ph.D. scholarship program, Japan.
The Ph.D. program in Sustainability Science is a three-year program that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The program will equip graduates with comprehensive, multidisciplinary knowledge of sustainability problems, and deepen their understanding of the role of environmental sustainability in addressing current issues related to global change.
This program provides students with unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops. Students undertake problem-oriented research by playing an active role in UNU-IAS research projects and acquire the quantitative and qualitative analytical skills necessary to understand the underlying principles of various systems involved in sustainability issues and debates.
Duration: 3 years
The UNU-IAS Ph.D. in Sustainability covers:
- Application Processing Fee: None
- Tuition Fee: 10,000 USD per year
UNU-IAS welcomes applicants with:
- Applicants must be from developing countries who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- A completed Master’s degree (or equivalent) from a recognized university or institution of higher education and demonstrated ability to link course work and activities to principles of sustainability;
- Strong interest in sustainability studies;
- Demonstrated commitment to study and understand global issues;
- Minimum of 2 years of practical field experience related to UNU-IAS research themes;
- A GPA of 2.8 or above on a 4.0 scale (equivalent to 70% on a 100 % scale) for at least one of the Master’s degrees earned; and
- English language proficiency
- To apply for this scholarship, an official application must be submitted through the online application form. However, applicants will need to create a user account to submit their applications. All application forms must be typed and filled out in English. No handwritten or incomplete application documents will be considered.
- All materials and documents submitted as part of an application become the property of UNU-IAS and cannot be returned.
- Unsuccessful applicants of previous years who reapply for admission must submit a completely new set of application documents, including letters of reference. No previous application materials will act as supporting resources.
Application Deadline: April 9, 2021
For more information and application, visit the official site.