United Nations University Institute for the Advanced Study of Sustainability (UNU-IAS) is offering students in the least developed countries PhD scholarships in sustainability science for 2023-2024 Academic years.
The PhD programme in Sustainability Science is a three-year programme that aims to produce scholars who will become key researchers in the field of sustainability science. The program takes an innovative approach to sustainability, seeking to promote a better understanding of the issues by incorporating global change perspectives, specifically those related to climate change and biodiversity.
The program provides students with unique opportunities to interact with leading scholars and policymakers through lectures, international conferences, and workshops. Students undertake problem-oriented research by playing an active role in UNU-IAS research projects and acquire the quantitative and qualitative analytical skills necessary to understand the underlying principles of various systems involved in sustainability issues and debates. Through coursework and research, PhD students gain critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the technical literacy required to address sustainability problems.
- The jfUNU scholarship provides a monthly allowance of 120,000 JPY as a support package for a maximum of 36 months.
- The tuition fees may be waived for the scholarship recipients.
To qualify for the UNU-IAS PhD Scholarship in Sustainability Science applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Be from developing countries and can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
- Are not currently living in Japan under a working visa.
- Are not already enrolled in other PhD programs.
Criteria for the Evaluation
- Academic excellence
- Personal growth: Assessing the contribution the proposed field of study would have on the applicant’s continued academic and professional development and/or its potential for impact in the local context.
- Financial need
To submit applications, applicants are to follow the steps below:
- Review the checklist and prepare the application materials as listed in the Guidelines.
- Register online to obtain the Application Form using this link: Registration for Applications.
- Receive an email from UNU-IAS Admissions Office with a link to the Application Form.
- Submit the Application Form by the deadline.
- Receive an automatic email to confirm that the Admissions Office has received your application.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: February 17, 2023
For more information, visit the official site.