Applications are invited to the West African Research Association (WARA) Residential fellowship in the U.S. 2021.
WARA is a non-profit membership organization dedicated to the promotion of research on West Africa and the diaspora, scholarly exchange, the dissemination of accurate information on West Africa and its diasporic communities, and increasing awareness of the critical place of West Africa in the global community.
In the interest of enhancing transatlantic exchange and collaboration, the West African Research Association, with funding from the Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs of the US State Department, offers Residencies for WARA member institutions to host a West African Scholar on their campus. Each residency will provide the visiting scholar with opportunities for library research, guest lecturing, and/or collaborative work with American colleagues. Please note that residencies are short-term exchanges and are not meant to fill faculty positions.
Duration: 4-8 weeks
- WARA will pay the round-trip travel costs of the selected scholar as well as
- A stipend of $3500 to help cover meals and local transportation costs
- Provision of housing, office space, library privileges, laboratory facilities, or other supports for the period of the residency.
The applications requirements for host institution include:
- Name and contact information for a representative of WARA host institution
- A 50-80 words abstract of the proposed residency, clearly indicating the purpose of the Residency (indicate the host institution contact person)
- Proposal of no more than six (6) double-spaced pages profiling the visiting scholar, his/her proposed residency activities, how the residency will contribute to the goals of WARA, the expected impact or outcome of the residency, and any support that the host institution is prepared to contribute
- Curriculum vitae for the visiting scholar
- Letter of interest from the scholar
- Letter of support from a relevant administrator (dean, department chair, etc.) at the host institution
- Proof of citizenship in the form of a copy of the scholar’s passport.
To apply, click here.
Deadline: February 15, 2021.
For more information visit the official site.